Monday, May 14, 2018

Transplanting Seedlings

Our seedlings in the green houses have been growing strong.


This is one of the things I have been trying to control as well as I could this year. I did not want plants that were too big to tuck away inside the green houses at night.We have neighborhood cats that like to use my seedling bed as a litter box, so I cant use my seedling box the way I wanted to.

I wanted to set up a grow hot box that I could remove the cover from when the temps started to rise this spring. That didn't happen this year ...YET! I am looking for materials for this fall.

So, I have transplanted the seedlings on average 2 times now. That was my goal, not to exceed transplanting 3 times before the final installation into beds or pots/planters. They are stocky;thick and strong, not tall and leggy.

We are also into digging up some volunteers and adding them to our collection:


Erigeron annuus, or  Daisy Fleabane 

Daisy fleabane is a dieuretic and I have been told it be used to help digestive ailments when drank in a tea or eaten as other cooked greens. The leaves and root are the edible parts, I am told. I have also been told that Daisy fleabane leaf extracts contain caffeic acid which is an active compound that has antioxidative and neuroprotective effects on neuronal cells. I am going to research this and ask one of my friends who is a long standing member of the Indiana Herbal Society and get back to you with what I find. 

Contrary to old folklore, it will NOT get rid of fleas. Its soap-like scent and astringent qualities probably helped it to become an old herbal cleaner in household use for ages. 

We have more herb seeds to start today, so I had better get outside to the potting bench in the shade!

You know the drill:
Get outside today and STAY SQUIRRELY!






No comments:

Post a Comment