Sunday, March 10, 2013

THE FLU


This last week has been our foray into the world of Flu Season 2012-2013. 

Lil Squirrel’s symptoms were not severe enough to begin with to merit alarm, just maybe a bit of a bug. A few low grade fevers, coughing and upset tummy. 

Then, Saturday morning she had a fever of 105 degrees. With the help of acetaminophen and a cooling bath I got the fever down to 101. 

After getting a ride and a few attempts at getting into an area clinic we have used many times before, we were helped at the Fayette Regional Health System Hospital Emergency Room. 

Dr. Nixon, all the nursing, personal care, and registration staff were wonderful dealing with my little 6 year old sicko, and my shower and sleep deprived self.

After a despised wait at the Wal-Mart Pharmacy for her prescribed meds, and waited on by a helpful and NICE technician, we decided since Lil Squirrel was sick and we needed a few things to get her through the next few days we had to shop the dreaded Evil Empire.

Now, I do not have a problem with the folks that work there, everyone has to find a place to work and in small towns they are few and far between any more.  Wal-Mart has long been a place that has not REALLY supported local economies anymore and I try to do whatever I can to support keeping my retail dollars here in the area to directly help this area. BUT, when you have a sick kid and bumming a ride – you have to take what is generously offered.

With that in mind, I refused to go to the self-service check out. It would have been faster, but I just did not want to take even one more bit of work from someone locally. (AND I had my daughter sit at the bench at the end of the check out with a friend so that she could be watched and not coughing all over everyone) As it turned out it was better for my daughter to be able to get the rest on the bench than stand there with me while I tried to figure out the broken scanner in the self-check-out lane….

I guess my whole point in this post is to point out that just being understanding and kind while performing your job IS a big thing.

If you are an employer I suggest that you really reconsider some of those employees that come to work every day and give it their best.

Reconsider the ones that the customers like. They are doing their job in a way that will keep customers coming, and even maybe bring some new ones in.
 
These days customer service and a caring attitude are a special additive that we consumers just do not get everywhere anymore.

And asking for that in a retail establishment is not us consumers being demanding and selfish, it’s us expecting to be treated like humans.

One thing I learned in the midst of all this was: how to make compost tea on my stove top. No, I am not Martha Stewart and have a staff of 30 whipping up contrived recipes….although that sounds interesting.

I am just a harried mom, running a household and being very flawed while at it all.

I was in the process of making some VERY hardy veggie stock to help fill up a corner of the freezer and have on the ready for this bug or whatever it was (this was before the trip to the ER and blood work confirmed the flu…)

 In the middle of all the running around, after I had turned the burner off and allowed the stock to cool before ladling it into freezer containers, I just FORGOT it.

Yep, that was all.

I forgot it.

The next morning at breakfast time and while filling the coffee pot for my life giving brew….I smelled something.

A cabbage-y something.

A slightly rotting something.

I smelled all the seedlings growing all over the house.

I checked all the fresh veggies in the fridge ….

As the fridge door was swinging shut it dawned on me!

THE STOCK!

Eeeeewwwww, I knew better than lifting the pot lid.

So I didn’t.

It sat there all during the hospital and Wal-Mart trips, it sat there quietly last night on the stove top.
It sat there this morning staring me down when I walked in to make today’s pot of black loving liquid, I mean coffee.
It sat there while I made breakfast, lunch, and did all the chores I had to catch up on from yesterday.

This afternoon I realized it had to be tended to.

When I lifted the lid, the stink was…..


GONE.

Well, that was a pleasant consequence of procrastination this time.

It still has a sauerkraut aroma, but it is slight and not offensive like my earlier outside versions of compost tea.

I mixed it 1:1 with water and proceeded to add it by the eyedropper full onto the tender little plants that had been neglected in yesterday’s activities.

Still no smell in the house, the plants have not keeled over and bit the dirt yet, and….
The pot full of yuk is STILL on the stove top.

I have to get it in a bucket and place it in the garage for a more appropriate storage solution.

Another point I am finding in all this is: 

NOTHING goes according to plan all of the time.

I will be happy with being able to keep up with what needs to be done when it needs to be done.
I will be happy with whatever results the plants come out with.
I AM happy knowing that I - I mean I, with the help of friends and strangers- was able to take care of my daughter when she needed it most.

One of the most important lessons in life is this: 

No matter how much you want to just do it yourself, you will not be able to do it ALL yourself.

Sometimes we need help; sometimes we need A LOT of help.

And sometimes we get to be of help; sometimes A LOT of help.

Do not miss your chance to help, and do not miss the chance to let others help you when you need it most.

-Suzanna

No comments:

Post a Comment