Saturday, March 16, 2013

What Would Great Grandma Have Eaten? Part II



As I promised I would I am going to introduce you to my Great Grandmothers. 

They were all born around 1880 give or take a few years. 

Dad's side of the family: 

1.     Grannie Laurie Rose Johnson - mother of my Grandpa William Johnson


Grannie Laurie Rose Johnson on the right with her sisters in the early 1900’s

2. Grandmother Margaret Murphy Pearson (Irish Much?!) - mother of my Grannie Katie Pearson Johnson Keen


Great Grandmother Margaret Murphy Pearson and Great Grandfather Green Pearson



Grannie Katie Pearson Johnson Keen on the left, with her sisters Ree and Winn possibly early 1930’s


Mom's side of the family:

1.Nannie Covington Parker (We called her Nannie and when I was young I just thought it was a form of Grandmother - but that was actually her name!)- mother to my Grandpa Almer James (A.J.) Parker{I also knew and loved my step-grand mother Grandma Norma Parker who I learned many things from.}

2.     Grandma Jessie Hinds White - mother of my Grandma Mary White Parker Landers

                                      
Grandma Mary White Parker Landers in the 1930’s or 1940’s


The only one of these Great Grandmas I got to meet was Nannie. She died when I was around 4 or 5 years old. But I remember her. I was a bit scared and in awe of this very tiny and very old lady that was bedridden and we would go visit often. I remember her as being powdery and always smelling nice and flowery too. I loved how she would hold me in a gentle hug or just touch my hand. It is a nice memory to have. My mother says that Nannie wanted to be the Grandmother that always had candy for the children. She used to bring a sack full every so often when my family lived just down the street from her before I was born. 

This tells me some very subtle things about Nannie. 

At least at the end of her life she valued her family.

She also placed a value of sharing candy with the children. Could this be because she did not have much when she was young, or that she enjoyed it so much as a child that she wanted to bring that joy to her grandchildren and great grandchildren? I do not know.

Even in her advanced age she seemed to have an air of refined grace - like the proverbial southern belle. Was she? I have no idea.

She left me with kind sweet memories that I will cherish. That was her intent I believe. 

Now that I have shared my memories, let me share some facts.

The first three Great Grandmas on the list were all from Kentucky. Only Nannie migrated to Indiana. 
Grannie Laurie and Grandmother Pearson lived in Jackson County Kentucky. It was known to have hard times and be a bit rougher then. Nannie was from Scott County Kentucky and their lives were easier, but still.....

Grandma White was born in Shelby County Indiana to a somewhat affluent founding Shelby County farming family. The Bassett/Hinds. 
http://www.bassettbranches.org/tng/getperson.php?personID=I05533&tree=1A


All of these women raised families roughly around the turn of the last century. 

They were born into what I like to view as the other side of the veil of Modern Times.

Their families all were first farmers, and then other things. 

Their parents knew what it was like to live before the Industrial Revolution and undoubtedly carried many habits, traditions, and beliefs from that time.

My Great Grandmothers would have been taught by their mothers how to raise a family and conduct life in their sphere. 

Technology was not so advanced, nor was it so fast and far reaching as it is today. 

Our communications technology has made every minute a news smashing experience! 

In great grandma's day news traveled in months, not seconds. 

"Going viral" meant a deadly influenza or scarlet fever outbreak, not a cutesy video everyone LIKED on social media. 

Speaking of influenza....

We still have that now, but we have Tylenol and electrolyte solutions and more sanitary living conditions provided by the modern bathroom to make this mostly just a major inconvenience/illness, not the almost always deadly disease that Great Grandma feared. 

How did we get these things? 

Technology and science!

They are great things. 

WHEN they improve our lives.....

In just the few ways mentioned above technology and science have GREATLY improved our lives!

But what has NOT improved?

What has been made WORSE?

Well, for one thing ACCESS to healthy food.

Great Grandma grew all her own veggies. Most of the time the meat provided by the livestock on the farm or by hunting/trapping/fishing on the farm was all the family needed. Maybe, they purchased a holiday goose or turkey from a neighbor down the road that raised them on THEIR farm. All very close and very simple. She KNEW where everything came from. She most likely saw those food items living and growing surrounding her cabin/farmhouse. Because of the location my Great Grandmothers could not grow citrus fruits, bananas, or sultanas (grapes dried into - raisins). But there was a wealth of berries, bush fruits, tree fruits, nut trees, and the foraging was plentiful. (My Grannie Katie was known for her chicory coffee recipe.) So often the more tropical fruits were just being introduced to the more northern American climates what with the advances in ice packed shipments and ongoing strides toward refrigeration. 

Great grandma did not worry about whether there would be pesticides she needed to wash off, she did not need to worry if the chicken she was butchering on the scrub top wooden kitchen table was going to contaminate the rest of the house and family. 

The chicken was raised like all chickens were - roaming around getting into everything it could in the farm yard or chicken run. It was not packed so tightly together with other chickens that had laid in filth and had to be pumped full of chemicals and drugs to survive growing at an abnormally fast rate that its legs would not hold its own weight. It was a natural, clean chicken. 

Drain the blood, rinse it off, cut it up and throw it into the pot to stew, roast, or fry, and then eat. It did not travel great distances (unless it was wrapped up in a dinner pail for a train trip or wagon ride across the country after being fried up.) to get to the family to eat. It did not pass through hundreds of hands and machines in processing, and truck after truck to get to the farm. 

Great Grandma just walked out the door, picked up the chicken, rung its neck after snugging it up close like a hug (and probably said "It's alright ole girl you have served your purpose, thank you.") and then gutted it, drained it, and scalded it and plucked it before taking it even into the house. Those were the things you did outside, not in the house. 

Great Grandma did not have to worry that some strange germ, or bacteria was in her food that her family was not already immune to naturally by living in the same location of the food that was consumed. 

Oh, there were food poisoning cases of course! 

There always have been and there always will be. 

BUT, those old cases were much smaller and much more isolated. 

NOW, you can be thousands of miles apart from another person that ALSO gets infected with e-coli from spinach that you bought at that national chain super-duper market. 

NOW, you can be in a different country form the original outbreak of salmonella in melons and share in the brotherhood of pain and suffering globally. 

Don't get me wrong, this is NOT a trip down the "Back in the Good ole Days" routine.

This is me just pointing out the good and bad in a few important ways, to me, that make Great Grandma's time and our time different. 

As I go through these reflections I wonder what they would think of our times.

What would they have thought of me?!

Would they admire what I am doing, or would they scoff at all the things I just do not know how to do – due to our labor saving and progressive technologies; and due in part to my own ignorance of my laziness?

What did Great Grandma just take as a matter of a fact of life that now we scoff at as just too much work to be worth the effort?

What are things and actions and principals WORTH today?

What were they worth in Great Grandma’s time?

How have we changed?

Has it all been good?

Has it all been bad?

Has it been a big mixed complicated bag of both?

As I have said, think on these things as it applies to you and YOUR Great Grandmas.

For now, I must go stir up some trouble in the home nest.

Stay Squirrely till the next post in Part III.

-Suzanna


No comments:

Post a Comment